UNESCO INTERNATIONAL GEOSCIENCE PROGRAMME
SPANISH WORKING GROUP IN PROJECT 513:
KARSTIC AQUIFERS AND WATER RESOURCES
GTE 513 WORK PLAN
· Formal constitution of the Spanish group, preparation of the Website and start of activities
· International Project Meeting in Kalamos (Athens), as part of the 14th International Congress of Speleology (20-28 August 2005). A volume of Abstracts was published, including all the papers presented at the Congress.
· National Meeting of GTE-513 in the framework of the 39th scientific session of the Spanish Geological Society, held in Puertollano on 25 November 2005. The contributions were published in Vol. 39 of the journal Geogaceta, and an appendix was published with the work carried out by GTE-513.
GTE-513 Report (2005)
· Organization of the 3rd Symposium on Karst, Málaga 2007, in the framework of the International Congress on Water in Mediterranean Countries AQUAinMED (Málaga, 24-28 April). The national and international meetings of the Project were jointly organized within this Congress, and the book “Karst, climate change and groundwater (J.J. Durán, B. Andreo and F. Carrasco) was published. A selection and review was made of the communications presented at the AQUAinMED Congress for publication in a special issue of the journal Environmental Geology, on Groundwater in Mediterranean Countries (B. Andreo and J.J. Durán, Eds.), including various studies carried out by members of GTE-513.
· A second international meeting was held in the framework of the 8th Conference on Limestone Hydrology, held in Neuchâtel (Switzerland), on 21-23 September. The communications presented were published as the Congress Proceedings, by Presses Universitares de Franche-Comté, Besançon, France.
GTE-513 Report (2006)
· International project meeting in Kentucky, in the framework of the International Conference on Karstic Hydrogeology and Ecosystems (13-15 August, 2007). The Proceedings are published at http://hoffman.wku.edu/karst2007/k2007.html
· Within GTE 513, B. Andreo and F. Carrasco coordinated the annual meeting of the Spanish IGCP Committee, held on 4-5 May 2007 in Nerja, in the premises of the Nerja Cave Foundation, the body that funded the meeting.
· International meeting of the GTE 513 in Almería, as part of the International Symposium on Coastal Aquifers. Members of GTE 513 presented various communications that have been published in the proceedings of the Congress, and collaborated in organizing the pre-Congress excursion, which included stops along the southern edge of Sierra Almijara (Cueva de Nerja and Cerro Gordo).
· A special volume of the journal, International Journal of Speleology on Karst Hydrogeology in Caves (B. Andreo, Ed.), No. 37(1), has been published, with the participation of various members of GTE-513. This can be consulted at http://www.ijs.speleo.it/
GTE-513 Report (2007)
· International Project Meeting in Oslo, in the framework of the International Geological Congress (http://www.33igc.org/) and of the International Year of Planet Earth (13-14 August, 2008). Specific session (HYH-09) on the question of the IGCP 513 project Karst Aquifers and Water Resources (Co-convenors: C. Groves, Y. Daoxian, B. Andreo and H. Viles).
· National meeting in the framework of the Spanish Geological Congress (http://www.congresogeologico2008.com/), Gran Canaria, 14-18 July. Specific session on Karst (18th July).
· 15th International Speleological Congress (http://www.ics2009.us/nss.html), Kerrville (USA), 19-26 July 2009 .